Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Big Sister

Many of you may have been wondering how Avery has handled the adjustment from being an only child to being the big sister...

When she is around Emma she is a wonderful big sister. Avery loves holding Emma, kissing her, patting her back, changing her diaper, and singing to her. While she is holding Emma, Avery will lift up her shirt and try to get Emma to blow raspberries on her stomach. She is very sweet with Emma!

But of course there have been several moments when Avery isn't as sweet and cute as I just mentioned. Let's just say that Avery is getting pretty good at putting herself in time-out. The only bad thing about that is that Avery thinks if she decides when to put herself in time-out, she also gets to decide when she gets out of time-out.

This morning while I was showering and Mike was tending to Emma, Avery took off her very dirty diaper and ran around the house. Yuck!!!!

Here comes the best story. This actually happened last week, but it was still a sensitive subject so it hasn't been posted until now.

Last week Mike was moving our computer from the kitchen up to the office. Emma was asleep downstairs. Avery and I came upstairs for just a minute to see the new office. (For some reason the previous owners put a key lock on the office door. We were afraid Avery would lock herself in, so we turned the knob around.) You can probably see where this is going! Well, apparently Avery locked the door from the outside and came into the office with Mommy and Daddy. A few minutes later she went back to the door to shut it. The three of us were now locked in the office with no way out and no cell phones. There was no way to pick the lock and we had no way of taking the door off the hinges. So my very strong (and slightly upset) husband used his fist to punch a hole through the door and was then able to unlock the door. We were free, Emma was still asleep, and Avery was in big trouble! Mike taped up the hole and we went to buy new door knobs. Every time Avery walks past the office door, she points to the tape and says "No No." I know you are wondering how Mike's hand fared after our dramatic rescue...only a few tiny scratches and amazingly enough, no bruises.

8 comments:

Eppie said...

What a great story. We all have experiences with locking ourselves in or out somehow. Glad it ended fairly well. Good thing you had such a strong husband there with you who could take care of the problem.

Rachel Sue said...

Go mike!

The Boring Family said...

Way to be a problem solver! About the lovely "diaper" issue...I had friends, who, no kidding, wrapped their daughter's diaper with masking tape 3-4 times because she kept taking it off! Good luck!

Mother Goose said...

A few minutes after Mike got us out of the locked room, I broke down in tears just thinking about what would have happened if I was there alone with the girls.

finn freak said...

hey mikie remember the hole you put in the rental houses wall... hehehehehe

Emily said...

Oh my WORD! That is such a crazy story! And holy cow that had to have killed his hand. No bruises? Ouch! I'm so glad he was there and you got out, I would have been freaking out about Emma being alone. phew. :) At least it's a good story to tell!

Rachel Sue said...

Hey, Ashlyn , I tagged you on my blog.

Laura said...

Wow! You married the superman type!